Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

Rising Stars

“Rising Stars” is a regular feature in Reflections. It profiles Siena Heights alumni who have graduated within the past 10 years and who excel in their careers, occupations or community service accomplishments. To be considered for “Rising Stars” in an upcoming issue of Reflections, fill out the online form at www.sienaheights.edu/risingstars. Those who are selected to be included in an upcoming issue of the magazine will be contacted by the Reflections staff.

Renata Bush

Graduation year: 2012.

Current title/position: CEO, LPC, & School Counselor.

What Renata is doing: She currently works as a school counselor for the largest school district in Michigan, contracted by two counseling and psychiatry offices. She is the CEO and President of her own counseling agency in Oakland County (Mich.) and executive director of a 501c3 organization that assist hundreds of youth, families and other organizations in the tri-county area in metro Detroit.

My favorite moment/story while a student at Siena Heights was: “I love my professors and the family atmosphere shared with my colleagues! It was a wonderful experience! And I can’t go without mentioning my trip to Ireland with Dr. McDonald. I can do it all over again!”

My favorite person at Siena Heights was: “Dr. R. Beckley, Dr. Pat McDonald and Dr. Jenny Ermiger.”

My ultimate goal in life is: “To develop an organization that will truly change and impact the lives of those that are hurting, broken, and need a safe place (emotionally & mentally). An organization that will reach the masses.”

My best piece of advice for SHU students is: “Embrace the wisdom of your professors. Take pride in being a Saint. Be willing to be a trailblazer and distinct, and as Dr. McDonald once told me: be resilient.”

Amy Humbarger

Graduation year: 2013 and 2017.

Current title/position: Director of Diagnostic Imaging and Cardiac Testing, St. Joseph Mercy, Chelsea, Mich.

What Amy is doing: She has worked at St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea for 14 years. She started as a radiographer with promotion opportunities to coordinator, manager and director. She said SHU has provided her a solid foundation for continued growth in healthcare leadership, in both bachelor’s and master’s programs. She serves as school board president of Grass Lake Community Schools, as well as a board member for the Women in Healthcare, Michigan Chapter. She recently completed serving a three-year term as a board member for the Chelsea Chamber of Commerce. She has recently been nominated and selected for the Trinity Health Strategic Leadership Program, a high-impact leadership cohort for aspiring executives.

My favorite moment/story while a student at Siena Heights was: “Making lifelong friendships with professors and peers in healthcare. I loved the personal touch that all SHU gave to me, from beginning to graduation. This level of support is truly like no other.”

My favorite person at Siena Heights was: “Dr. John Fick: he continues to support my commitment to being a lifelong learner by supporting me as I prepare for the Board of Governor’s exam with American College of Healthcare Executives.”

My ultimate goal in life is: “To always be filled with gratitude and fulfillment, knowing I can make a difference in healthcare.”

My best piece of advice for SHU students is: “Stay the course. Pause if needed, but always return to investing in yourself. The commitment won’t be easy, but it’s worth it.”

Mary Bruggenwirth

Graduation year: 2015.

Current title/position:

Interim Director at Head Start Early Childhood Programs, Adrian Public Schools.

What Mary is doing: After graduating with her master’s degree in Early Childhood Education, it allowed her the opportunity to accept a position as a child care director at a small center serving one classroom. She is currently the interim director at the Adrian Public Schools Head Start Early Childhood Programs, where she oversees a large and diverse staff, including managers of education and family services.

My favorite moment/story while a student at Siena Heights was: “I loved that Siena Heights was local to me and made taking graduate classes easy while working a full-time job and raising a family. I loved attending classes led by professors who were also passionate about early childhood education.”

My favorite person at Siena Heights was: Kathy Burke.

Ultimate goal in life: “To advocate for the field of early childhood education and continue to make a difference in the lives of the children and families I have the opportunity to work with.

My best piece of advice for SHU students is: “Be present, put in the work, and never forget to have some fun!”

Julie Wagner

Graduation year: 2011.

Current title/position: Education Programs Manager at Playhouse Square

What Julie is doing: She works at Playhouse Square, the largest theater organization outside of New York, allowing her to work in 11 different performance spaces on Arts Education programs, special events, festivals and more. In her current position, she works with talent agents around the world to help build the show season for schools and young audiences. She also oversees the field trip coordinator team, ensuring the Playhouse reaches expected ticket and revenue goals. During her time, attendance has increased by 30 percent for in-person performances, and the Playhouse has launched two new series: a virtual performance series serving over 90,000 participants, and a social justice series promoting voices from artists of color and addressing the issues facing the nation today. As a freelance stage manager, she also works in theaters throughout Cleveland, Ohio, and said she has the great fortune to work with Broadway professionals annually on the Dazzle Awards, the regional high school musical theater awards program. She also assists backstage with other touring events, including comedian Trevor Noah and singer Gavin DeGraw. She is a member of multiple young professionals groups and volunteers time with the Cleveland Photo Fest, Kids Book Bank, Cleveland Indians, MLB All-Star festivities and College Now mentor programs.

My favorite moment/story while a student at Siena Heights was: “The whole theater department playing Mafia in the lobby of the Performing Arts Center: it never seemed to disappoint!”

My favorite person at Siena Heights was: Mark DiPietro.

Ultimate goal in life: “To make a lasting impact in making theater arts education more accessible and equitable for all.”

My best piece of advice for SHU students is: “Take every experience you can. Expand your mindset and be open to exploring new things. The more intersections you weave, the more “out-of-the-box” ideas you’ll discover.”