Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

Centennial Year Cut Short

Adrian Campus Students Adjust to Remote Learning Environment

By Doug Goodnough

It was supposed to be the last week of in-person classes at Siena Heights University’s Adrian campus before final exams signaled the end of the winter semester and academic year.

However, the coronavirus pandemic has ushered in a new reality. When campus was closed March 24 due to state and national social distancing guidelines, learning continued in a remote environment. Siena Heights has adapted – with help from its nationally ranked online program – to accommodate Adrian campus students, faculty and staff who had a steep learning curve to catch up to their online faculty and student counterparts.

And with many traditional end-of-the-year events like honors convocation, the week-long Halo Fest student festival, awards ceremonies and even commencement exercises canceled, postponed or moved online, it has left a void for some students.

Junior Alyssa Domasica was supposed to spend her final two months of the semester transitioning to become the new president of SHU Student Government next fall. At the end of the academic year, she was mostly focused on finishing her coursework and preparing for a summer paid internship in Lansing, Mich.

Alyssa Domasica
Alyssa Domasica

“It’s been hard,” said Domasica of the transition to remote instruction. “My professors have been great. They’ve been understanding on the grades and supportive. I’m an art student, and I use the computer for (courses) anyways, but I was helping other students get (graphic design software) and get access to it. I’m in like overdrive mode, just constantly doing my classes and getting it done.”

A digital communications and art double major and graphic design minor, Domasica said this summer she was still focused on trying to move forward with some of her Siena Heights leadership duties.

“We are trying to do bi-weekly meetings just to try to get them comfortable,” Domasica said of the new Student Government team. “We’re trying to make fall semester plans, and what we can do to keep students engaged.”

Freshman accounting major Brandon Bauer said he came from the rural mid-Ohio community of Mount Gilead for Siena Heights’ cozy campus environment. He said he misses the in-person connection he has with his professors and classmates.

“It’s hard to learn online. You have to do it more yourself,” Bauer said. “I like Siena a lot (because) in person it’s pretty much one-on-one and (faculty) are right there to help you. That’s what’s been harder.”

He said being home hasn’t been too bad, especially when he is able to “jam out” on his guitars and spend time with his older brother, Bradley, who is a junior actuary science major at SHU and a member of the men’s track and field team.

Brandon Bauer
Brandon Bauer

“And my grades are still good,” Bauer said. “All As.”

Senior Garret Young was supposed to finish out his college track and field career this spring and then graduate into the work force, preferably in his home state of California. However, Young was still one of the few students still on campus, working part-time for SHU’s Public Safety Department while finishing his coursework in communications. He left campus at the end of May.

“I was sad to see my senior season go, but I understand with an international pandemic that takes first place in this time of crisis,” Young said. “Remote learning hasn’t been too bad for me. It’s challenging when you cannot go into the classroom and learn from your professors, but it also gives you the opportunity to learn for yourself.”

Young said the campus was “practically deserted” in mid-May, and he said the few students who remain have stayed positive. He said not being able to experience a May commencement is disappointing.

“Not many people graduate from college in my family, and this would have been a huge boost,” he said. “I will miss the family feel at Siena Heights. What you put in you will get out of it, and I got the most out of Siena Heights.”

Domasica said the situation also has her appreciating the Siena Heights community.

“It’s been a little bit disconnecting,” she said. “I miss staying ‘hi’ to someone every 10 minutes. I miss going to class, going to meetings. I miss just seeing people.”