Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

Rising Stars

“Rising Stars” is a regular feature in Reflections. It profiles Siena Heights alumni who have graduated within the past 10 years and who excel in their careers, occupations or community service accomplishments. To be considered for “Rising Stars” in an upcoming issue of Reflections, fill out the online form at www.sienaheights.edu/risingstars. Those who are selected to be included in an upcoming issue of the magazine will be contacted by the Reflections staff.

Kayla Herold

Graduation year: 2017.

Current title/position: Lesotho (Africa) Peace Corps Volunteer.

What Kayla is doing: She is currently a Peace Corps volunteer serving in Lesotho. She is placed in the village of Ha Dinizulu and teaching at the primary school Serooeng. She is helping to coach the teachers in English and life skills in grades 4-7. She also hopes to do phonics with all grades in her second year of service. Her other project is to have all her teachers trained in how to teach phonics and life skills so that her education project is sustainable after her service time is complete.

My favorite moment/story while a student at Siena Heights was: “My favorite moment was the very first Saint Catherine of Siena (feast) day. It was so great to have so many people come out and celebrate one of our patron saints!”

My favorite person at Siena Heights was: “Kevin Grasley. He was a wonderful professor and I learned so much from him!”

My ultimate goal in life is: “To be a Peace Corps volunteer. …So now I need a new life goal.”

My best piece of advice for SHU students is: “Don’t be afraid to branch outside of your “group.” College is a time for meeting all kinds of people. Keep an open mind and you never know what you can learn about someone.”

Dr. Benjamin R. Zedler

Graduation year: 2013.

Current title/position: Chiropractic Physician.

What Ben is doing: He is the owner and founder of Evolve Family Chiropractic Center in Coral Gables, Fla.

My favorite moment/story while a student at Siena Heights was: “The ability to go to college as a first generation student in my family and be a member of both the McNair and men’s track and field programs.”

My favorite person at Siena Heights was: “Everyone, but especially the Science Department, McNair directors and track and field coaches.”

My ultimate goal in life is: “To help my entire community achieve wellness and optimum health.”

My best piece of advice for SHU students is: “Don’t give up. … You will succeed if you stick to your dreams.”

Dr. Christopher M. Murray

Graduation year: 2010.

Current title/position: Internal Medicine Physician at Beaumont Hospital, Farmington Hills Resident Hospital Chief.

What Chris is doing: He recently completed his residency in internal medicine at Beaumont Hospital and will open a practice with the Southern Tennessee Internal and Family Medicine Specialists in September 2019.

My favorite moment/story while a student at Siena Heights was: “Having the opportunity to work with resident life and interview Michael Orlando when he first started. We knew from the start that Michael was truly someone special and it’s so nice to see that he has made Siena truly a better place.”

My favorite person at Siena Heights was: “Dr. Jun Tsuji, Dr. Timothy Husband, Dr. Carl Kaster, Dr. Mark Schersten, Sam Thacker and Michael Orlando truly helped shape my life during my time at Siena.”

My ultimate goal in life is: “To continue the practice of medicine while fulfilling my role as an excellent father and husband.”

My best piece of advice for SHU students is: “’It’s the “fight in the dog’ that helps you conquer your goals. You all have the potential to do whatever you want in life if you’re willing to work hard enough for it.”