Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

One on One With . . . Todd Marsee

Editor’s Note: This is an occasional Reflections series, and this issue features Siena Heights graduate Todd Marsee ’94, who was selected as the Artist in Residence by Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. In fall 2017, Marsee spent three weeks in the Upper Peninsula park capturing the beauty of the picturesque rock formations in watercolor paintings. Reflections recently sat down with Todd to reflect on his experience and career.

Explain the process of applying for this opportunity and how it came about.

“My coworker sent me an email she received from the DNR looking for applicants to the Porcupine Mountain State Park Artist in Residence (AIR). I looked into it but it was too rustic for me, as the cabin they offered artists had no running water or electricity. My process involves a fair amount of water, so I thought I’d look into other Michigan AIR programs. I was in luck, both Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore had programs. However, since the source of my inspiration is from Pictured Rocks, I applied to this program. They offered more flexibility in lodging options which appealed to me. Applications are due end of the year and notifications are sent out in April. Applications consist of digital samples of your body of work, a CV and a letter of purpose. These are juried by park staff and sometimes a local artist. Accepted artists are to donate one piece of their work from the residency, and also give at least one interpretive program that advances the park’s mission. In my case, I invited park rangers to the cabin to choose from several paintings. I gave demonstrations on my process at Miners Castle Information Center on National Parks Day.”

Have you ever done an Artist-In-Residence before and what were your expectations?

“This was my first (but hopefully not my last)! The Chapel Rock area is my favorite place in the park. I expected to hike this area as much as possible, but didn’t even make it there. I was able to explore the east side of the park, a place less familiar to me. Since the cabin was about 20 minutes to Grand Marais, the west side of the park was about a 40-minute drive! This was something I didn’t think about. Hurricane Beach area and the dunes became my favorite places to hike. I did wonder if I’d have a profound experience, something that would change my style completely, but that wasn’t the case – which I’m completely fine with. My art style was familiar, but with brighter more intense colors. My scale was smaller due to the size of my table and studio. I think what I did take away from my experience will evolve slowly, just as nature does.”

What significance did Pictured Rocks have for you before the experience, and what is your perspective after it?

“Before: My first time at Pictured Rocks left me with an impression of long rocky, wooded landscape views that seem to go on forever, so some of my art at my senior show had a long, narrow format inspired by the shoreline. I had backcountry camped, or did day hikes, on previous visits. This time, having a home base at the cabin was luxurious. I didn’t have to plan or worry about not getting a campsite. When I camped out in the 90s, we were able to get a site, now with the popularity of the park, it’s much harder during peak season. My perspective of the park is still the same (It’s grand, and nature at its best). It’s just that I’ve broadened my geographic experience. I’ve also found interest in the micro, small plants, rocks and textures.”

What did you learn about yourself during this experience?

“Being off the grid was a gift, able to focus purely on painting. The cabin had solar powered lights. I’m a conservative person with energy anyway, but was more aware of using electricity only when I really needed it. When I hike, I like to look at the ground and pay attention to the tiny things most people overlook. I’ve always liked rocks, but I really got into searching for unique stones with vibrant colors.”

Can you tell us a little about your career and what you’ve been doing?

“As a student, I had a dual interest in graphic design and studio art (painting). My senior BFA exhibit reflected that interest with half/half. I have been fortunate to continue that – my day job has been a graphic designer, and my studio art (watercolor) is my night/weekend gig. I’ve been exhibiting in art fairs since 1993 at the AppleUmpkin Festival and art galleries since 1994. Thanks to my internships at Access in Adrian and Spectrum Printers, I was able to get a job before I graduated, at Spectrum Printers. My grandma mailed me a clipped classified ad from my hometown newspaper (remember those?!) for a graphic design position at Online Graphics in Plymouth, Mich. I had always really wanted to go out west, but applied to this job anyway. It ended up being such a great experience learning so much, and my co-workers were like family. One of our main clients was Borders books. My favorite part of working with this client was the music. I had always wanted to design CD covers, but this was the next best thing, as I designed many of the music end caps and a poster for the first Lilith Fair, which I received kudos from Sarah McLachlan. I currently work at The University of Michigan as a senior graphic designer (almost 14 years). Our program funds research in the Great Lakes. I interpret the science from researchers into educational materials. Projects include logos, posters, technical illustration, photography, websites, truly a little bit of everything. It all aligns with my love of Michigan and the Great Lakes. … During Homecoming in October, there will be an exhibit on the nearly 25 years of graphic design exhibit promotional materials that I have worked on for Klemm Gallery. (I also) teach watercolor workshops at art councils and clubs.”

How did you know you wanted to be an artist?

“(I was) constantly drawing as a kid. At family get-togethers I was hanging out with or near the adults drawing. In high school, I wanted to be a transportation designer. Many in my family worked at Ford and seemed like a great career choice. I was taking college classes as a senior in high school at College for Creative Studies and found out that I had reactions to the spray paints, markers, etc. that were used in the design phase. But that ended up being a good thing as I had also applied to Siena and received a scholarship with a rendering of a car (I still have this piece).”

How did Siena Heights shape your life and eventual career path?

“I have experienced SHU as a student, (also a transfer student), teacher and alumni board member. Siena has a community of professors, staff and students that were (and are) like family. I was at Siena my first year, but was homesick and decided to transfer to Eastern Michigan University close to my hometown. I quickly learned that wasn’t the best decision and was lucky to finish up at Siena. The professors were challenging, yet could give me personal attention and guidance. A professor encouraged me to try out for theater, and had many small-to-medium parts with Theatre Siena. I also got to know my future wife, Kara (Janick) during the Crucible. We started dating a while after graduation. I taught graphic design as adjunct faculty in the early 2000s (and in) 2013 joined Alumni Association Board of Directors. What an amazing experience, meeting up with our talented group of alumni four or more times a year has been such a bright spot in my life. I would encourage anyone who is interested in supporting our school to ask about becoming a board member. I will never forget my first meeting – it had so much energy, kindness, stories and love for our small, but mighty, University. I felt like I was back at school (but without the homework load). Homecoming is my favorite alumni event and would like to invite all who have never been to experience this amazing event. Oh, and stop by the Art Department’s tailgate, you won’t be disappointed.”

What would you tell current Siena students about pursuing a career in art?

“Network with art groups and other alumni (Linkedin, SaintsConnect) (and) stay involved with Siena.”

Anything else you would like to add?

“My day job at Michigan Sea Grant has many parallels with the Great Lakes. During my residency, I was able to also do some photography for work, which in turn influenced many of my paintings. It was such an honor to have been chosen as the Pictured Rocks Artist in Residence, it is a highlight of my life so far, and I’m so thankful that I was able to have the opportunity, and the time to paint. I’d like to encourage anyone who hasn’t been or has been thinking about going to Pictured Rocks to make plans to do so. It’s a time commitment, but well worth the drive. It can be done in a long weekend of 3-4 days, but a week is best.”

To learn more about Todd’s residency at Pictured Rocks and see more paintings and photos visit his blog here.