Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

From the Editor:

Doug Goodnough, Reflections Editor
Doug Goodnough, Reflections Editor

The Quest to Be Better

My old college baseball coach used to say, “You get better or you get worse; you don’t stay the same.” That phrase has stuck with me through my professional career, including my time at Siena Heights University.

After nearly eight years and 15 issues of being the editor of Reflections Magazine, it was time to take a fresh look at what we do with the magazine. It was not an easy decision. The reader feedback we have received on the magazine has been overwhelmingly positive. In fact, there has been no clear evidence that we need to do anything different with the magazine.

So, why did we change? We recognize the University has changed quite a bit over the past few years, and we want to be able to change with it. Our readership continues to change (and grow), and today’s readers have different preferences and patterns. For instance, last year we added an on-line version of the magazine to allow our more tech-savvy readers to access content in a more mobile and convenient way.

Because our nontraditional student population has grown quite a bit, the content of the magazine should reflect that. Notice that we’ve added some new features like “Center Stage” to highlight news around our degree completion centers and online program. I also like the “One on One With…” format that allows for a more personalized storytelling approach.

Also in our effort to “raise the bar,” designer Jeff Masse (who just completed his 10th year and 20th issue!) has freshened up the design and presentation a bit—while making every attempt not to compromise the familiarity and quality the magazine represents to our readers. I wouldn’t call what we’ve done a “redesign” or “overhaul.” More like a subtle “tweak.”

I think we have accomplished our goal, and we hope you agree. As always, we welcome your comments and feedback regarding the magazine. Feel free to drop me a line anytime at dgoodnou@sienaheights.edu.

Thanks for reading!

Doug Goodnough
Editor