Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

From the Alumni Association:

Mary Small Poore, President—Alumni Association Board of Directors

Falling in Love All Over Again

I am very excited to be the newest President of the SHU Alumni Association. After graduation, I stayed connected to Siena for nearly a decade before drifting away…life just seemed to get in the way. But in 2006, I attended Sister Peg Albert’s presidential inauguration—and I have been drawn back ever since. You might say I fell in love with Siena all over again. The more time I spent on campus, the more I remembered what drew me here in the first place: the people and sense of community.

If you attended Homecoming 2013, you know about the excitement on campus and the incredible happenings that continue here. I consider myself blessed to be a part of this growing university. As I reflect on Homecoming, I can’t help but think it is the culmination of many small, meaningful connections that made the weekend so spectacular. And these connections, in turn, are what make this a spectacular university. Let me share a few observations:

• Listening to our award winners at the Alumni Awards ceremony, I was reminded of the true value of a Siena Heights education. When one fully uses the education and values learned here, the sky is the limit. I am in awe of this year’s recipients.
  • Two members of the 50th Reunion class came away from the new University Center distressed at having missed Saturday brunch in the dining hall—and wondering where to eat. Our new Alumni Association Vice President, Katie Hatch ’07, came to the women’s assistance, guiding them to the art department tailgate where they were welcomed for lunch with open arms. The ’63 grads made new friends—and experienced their first “Exorcism,” the traditional gastronomical delight prepared by the spirited Studio Angelico artisans.
  • At Saturday’s 40th anniversary of the Eclipse literary publication, I witnessed the bond between Eclipse founders and current staff and students. The readings they shared provided a calming oasis in this high-energy weekend. What talented writers and artists we have in our midst!
  • The alumni cheerleaders who joined the SHU cheer and dance team for the football game gave everyone a reason to cheer. Now, THAT’S entertainment!
  • Welcoming the Spencer family has become a Homecoming tradition. Hearing Mary Spencer speak of her parents, Delbert and Donna McLaughlin, for whom the University Center is named, made me appreciate this structure as a warm gathering space for the Siena Heights family. I believe the McLaughlins would be proud of this new “home” established in their names.
  • SHU musicians provided amazing music all weekend, but nothing was more beautiful than when Dr. Beth Tibbs invited alumni to join the choir at the front of St. Dominic Chapel for the Alma Mater after Sunday Mass. There were few dry eyes among us.

The Alumni Board, Saintly Supporters (former Board members who just can’t say “no”) and the SHU Advancement team worked tirelessly to make the weekend a success. Whether driving a hospitality golf cart, greeting visitors at every venue, taking tickets or deejaying Octoberfest, these individuals ensured that events ran smoothly and everyone had fun. I am grateful to you all.

Yes, Homecoming was spectacular. But don’t wait for Homecoming; come home any time. This is YOUR campus, whether or not you took your classes here. Come meet the faculty, cheer the athletic teams, attend a theater or music event, or volunteer your time and talent. If you can’t get here in person, join us on Facebook. However you decide to experience it, come home soon. You, too, might fall in love all over again!

Mary Small Poore ’76
President—Alumni Association Board of Directors