From the SHU Archives: Serving Sisters
Several Adrian Dominicans Sisters were well-known for their service to Siena Heights
• Sister Bertha Hominga was the first Siena Heights registrar and seemed to have memorized the transcript of every student.
• Sister Laurine Neville was very devoted to working with the migrant farm workers in Lenawee County, and she always involved the students in this ministry.
• Sister Irene Morence was dedicated to finding financial aid for every student who needed it. Sister Raphael McDonald was the director of Finance and Planning from 1973-78, a time of major changes at Siena Heights.
• Sister Jeannine Klemm (right) was named head of the Art Department in 1957, when there were 20 majors. By 1982, the number had grown to 200. She first worked in Studio Angelico on the fifth floor of Sacred Heart Hall.
But she knew the space could accommodate neither the new techniques (such as metalworking with blow torches) nor the increase in the number of students. So Jeannine, as she travelled to various workshops and master classes, studied art studios to get ideas for the one she wanted. Told only one floor was planned, she raised the roof! Then she raised the money for the second floor by soliciting donations from local industrialists and by printing greeting cards and selling them and other art works. In 1992 The Catholic Weekly states, “Sister Jeannine has never allowed limits set by others to keep her from achieving what she believes is right. The building in which she works is a good example. It rises from the surrounding rolling pasture like a piece of sculpture. Best of all, according to her, ‘You can walk right in.’ ”