Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

From the President:

Sister Peg Albert, OP, PhD, President
Sister Peg Albert, OP, PhD, President

Success Comes in Many Forms

What’s your definition of success? In higher education, it may depend on the person whom you ask.

If you’re asking those in government, then it may be about student outcomes and the educational value that a college or university provides its students. I’m happy to report that over the summer Siena Heights was listed in several surveys that cited SHU as being a good return-on-investment. I certainly count this as a success story and reaffirms what we are doing as an institution. You can read more details about these honors in this issue.

For our students, I’m sure the answers will be all over the board. Many gauge success on what kind of grades they receive in the classroom. Others on the success of their athletic or extracurricular endeavors. Of course, we hope all of our students measure success when they are holding their diplomas in their hands!

For our faculty, staff and administration, their success is directly tied to our students’ success. It is our mission to see our students become more competent, purposeful and ethical during their time at Siena Heights. We want our students to not only become successful in their future jobs and careers—but also in their lives. Our Catholic, Dominican tradition mandates that we prepare our students to be agents of change in the world. We want them to help transform the world for good. And that’s a success story by anyone’s definition.

For our graduates, the definition of success is just as complex. If you read through the pages of this issue, you see the examples of its many types. It could be Las Vegas elementary principal Katie Decker, who took a failing school and transformed it into an award-winning, fun place to learn. Or John Detro, who recently received a promotion in the U.S. Army and is doing heroic work as a physician’s assistant. Or Matt Larson, who became the first SHU student to earn a PhD as part of the McNair Scholars Program. Finally, pick any of our alumni award winners, who are actively and passionately involved in their communities and living the mission of Siena Heights University.

What is my definition of success here at Siena Heights? For me, success is not always about the “big” things like new buildings, programs or initiatives. Sometimes I relish the “small” successes, too.

Let me give you an example: Recently, one of our students approached me and said, “I hear you cook a mean chicken dinner.” He then went on to ask me if he could come over for dinner one night at my house. I was touched. I’ve always tried to build close relationships with students during my time at Siena Heights, but here was a wonderful, tangible example of that. I appreciated the student’s boldness and the fact that he thought he knew me well enough to be able to ask that of me. That’s a success in my book.

The internal transformation that takes place with our students during their experience at Siena Heights is another “hidden” success. They come here wanting more than knowledge. They’re here to discover wisdom, truth and their own definition of success. And we will continue to do our best to help them find it at Siena Heights.

Sister Peg Albert, OP, PhD
President