Your browser (Internet Explorer 7 or lower) is out of date. It has known security flaws and may not display all features of this and other websites. Learn how to update your browser.

X

2012 Alumni Stars

Making the World a Better Place

Recent Graduate Award
Lacey Wilmot Rao ’02
Lacey Wilmot Rao ’02

Lacey Wilmot Rao ’02
An orthopedic surgeon and active community volunteer in Tucson, AZ, Lacey credited Siena Heights with some important lessons. “You don’t go to college to learn ‘things,’ you go to learn how to learn,” she said, noting how quickly things change in medicine. “The faculty at Siena do a tremendous job of teaching more than facts; they teach you how to seek knowledge. I encourage today’s students to remember that much of what we know now will change. Try to focus on refining how to think and learn, as opposed to only memorizing facts.” Her experiences as a student and athlete at SHU taught her that “working hard, knowing how to think, and working well with others will make you successful in life. But what will make you happy? The simple answer is, doing what you love and sharing your talents with the world. Choose to do the thing that excites you, that makes you feel proud of your work, and that makes you smile.”

Traci Stewart ‘02
Traci Stewart ‘02

Traci Stewart ‘02
An advance practice nurse and doctoral candidate in Northville, MI, Traci majored in biology at Siena, certain she wanted to be a doctor despite her frustration with senior research. “On a few occasions, Prof. Carl Kaster, who knew me well, mentioned there were other things I could do with a biology degree, but I had my mind set. But it turned out medical school was not for me and I did not want to be a doctor. Not until I was sitting in a research nursing class did it hit me: ‘I understand what they are talking about—this is how you use research in the real world—and I like it!’ Suddenly, all the hours spent on my senior project became useful and everything I had learned working toward my biology degree was applicable. All those experiences formed a strong foundation—strong enough to make me successful now as a nurse practitioner and in the future as I continue my work—and research!—in women’s health and health care disparities.”

The Recent Graduate Award is given to a SHU alumna or alumnus who graduated within the past 10 years. It recognizes and honors persons who exemplify dedication to Christian values through professional achievement, community involvement and/or civic commitment; and who represent the spirit of Siena Heights University in our world.

Sister Ann Joachim Award
Anne Birnbryer MacMillan Eichman ‘67
Anne Birnbryer MacMillan Eichman ‘67

Anne Birnbryer MacMillan Eichman ‘67
Having spent her early career in education, advertising and marketing, Anne today is a consummate volunteer focusing on quality-of-life issues that affect everyone living in downtown San Diego, CA. Recognized for her persistence, intellect and can-do attitude, she has worked tirelessly to develop and sustain public libraries, after-school programs, and services to provide food, shelter and health care for the homeless. “Whatever is needed to make her community better, Annie will roll up her sleeves and go to work,” said her nominator. “Her life embodies the values of Siena Heights and Sister Ann Joachim—whom we all admired tremendously,” said her presenter and friend since freshman year, Mary Kay Kerschen. “Anne has consistently demonstrated leadership and concern for others throughout her adult life.”

Patricia Siemen, OP ‘72
Patricia Siemen, OP ‘72

Patricia Siemen, OP ‘72
Pat is an environmental attorney in Orlando, FL, who has pioneered the field of Earth Juris-prudence, an approach to governance and law that reflects and respects the interdependence of nature, humanity and all of Earth’s inhabitants. “Siena laid the foundation for my ministerial and professional service,” she said. Just as the Adrian Dominicans shaped her faith in the spirit of the Second Vatican Council, “Siena opened my eyes to ‘the signs of the times’ around me.” She credited many Siena mentors: Sister Mary Louise Hall’s English class on “Letters from Prison;” Sister Jane Farrell’s leadership of the Model UN program; Sisters Margaret Page and Carmelita O’Connor—“dear, dear Carmie” whose liberation theology class “taught us to listen to the voices of the ‘underside;’” and Sister Teddy McKenna, whose Latin Amer-ican history class taught Pat to ask “who benefits? and who pays? when assessing public policy.”

The Sister Ann Joachim Award is presented in memory of a legendary Adrian Dominican faculty member. It recognizes significant contributions to the University and/or community through activities that demonstrate strong leadership, the ability to get things done, and the capacity to confront challenging issues head-on while maintaining the image and spirit of the University.

St. Dominic Award
Angela Susalla, OP ’63, ‘70
Angela Susalla, OP ’63, ‘70

Angela Susalla, OP ’63, ‘70
Sister Angela has spent a lifetime addressing poverty and discrimination, as a teacher, counselor, pastoral minister and, for the past 30 years, as a social worker in Tunica, MS, long the poorest county in the U.S. “Poverty was easy to see in Tunica,” she said. Racism was evident immediately, because everything was segregated, “but it took longer to see how deeply embedded it was, and is, in all our systems—political, educational, judicial, economic, cultural. Inroads have been made, but progress is slow. Working in Tunica has shown me just how interconnected the heresies of poverty and racism are.” Angela reflected with gratitude on her education at Siena: “Sister Jean Hitzeman gave me a love of biology. She and the other faculty gave me a love of learning. The Adrian Dominicans taught me the values of prayer, study, and the pursuit of truth and justice. All of these values are at the heart of my social service ministry.”

The Saint Dominic Award recognizes an alumna or alumnus for commitment to Christian education in family, school or community. Named for the 12th century Spanish nobleman who founded the Dominican order, the award honors persons who embody the Dominican philosophy and the spirit of Siena, and who promote pride in Christian ethics and education.

Outstanding Alumni Award
Douglas Miller ’74, ‘83
Douglas Miller ’74, ‘83

Douglas Miller ’74, ‘83
Doug has been part of the Siena community for more than 40 years, including 33 as a member of the theater faculty. Now theater program chair and director of technical theater, he was honored for “creative excellence in theater and education” and for achievements that have “dazzled audiences near and far.” Doug has directed and/or designed several hundred productions—at Siena Heights and the Croswell Opera House, in New York, and on regional, national and international stages. He has led numerous theater trips for students, as well as international tours for students and alumni. As a director, designer, professor and mentor, he has influenced hundreds of Siena alumni, preparing generations of students for successful on-stage and back-stage theater careers.” One of his nominators, Professor Emeritus Whit Hames, summed it up simply: “Doug Miller is star quality.”

The Outstanding Alumni Award recognizes alumni whose outstanding professional achievements and/or volunteer contributions promote Siena Heights University positively to the community. These alumni demonstrate strong leadership characteristics, serve as significant role models for others, and embody the spirit of Siena Heights University.

Honorary Alumni Award
Patricia Schnapp, RSM
Patricia Schnapp, RSM

Patricia Schnapp, RSM
A 26-year member of the English faculty, Sister Pat is well known as an inspiring professor, accomplished author, creative mentor, dedicated prison volunteer, tireless worker at “Share the Warmth” homeless shelter, irrepressible lover of literature, and faith-filled friend to all. Her record inspired many alumni to write in support of this award: “I will always be indebted to her,” said Tod Marshall ’90, an English professor himself, “for the model she offered: as a luminously passionate teacher and scholar who made it clear that the commitment to literature and students, to beliefs and ideas, to writing and thinking—that the commitment to all of these went
far beyond the classroom.”

“Teaching has been my joy,” said Pat, “and I have learned more than I taught. At Siena, I’ve learned from students about sacrifice and sportsmanship and the amazing results hard work can produce. At the prison, I’ve learned that none of us deserves to be defined by the worst thing we’ve ever done. From homeless people, I have learned that no disability and no tragedy and no burden of guilt can block the workings of grace. For these learnings, all blessings, I will always be grateful.”

The Honorary Alumni Award recognizes non-alumni who demonstrate exceptional commitment to and support for the mission and spirit of the University. Individuals selected for honorary alumni status shall be inspirational role models who have made a significant difference for Siena Heights by sharing themselves through generous and sustained gifts of time, talent and/or treasure.

Sister Patricia Schnapp, RSM, Ph.D. Endowed Scholarship
In the months immediately after Sister Pat received the Honorary Alumni Award, her family elected to establish a scholarship in her honor. In awarding the scholarship, special attention will be given to students affected by homelessness or incarceration. Former students and friends may contribute to the endowment by making the designation “Schnapp Scholarship” at the time a gift is made. Questions may be directed to Jen Brooket ‘06, ‘10 at (517) 264-7159.

The 2013 Alumni Award Winners will be honored on Friday, October 4, at the start of Homecoming 2013

Erika Wolcott Henry ’07 — Recent Graduate Award
Sister Jean Hughes, OP ’68 — Saint Dominic Award
Michael P. Morgan ’83 — Outstanding Alumni Award
Catherine Zick Robinson ’69 — Sister Ann Joachim Award
Jason Sanderson ’92 — Outstanding Alumni Award
Jennifer Hamlin-Church — Honorary Alumni Award